My commitment to my scholars!

Today I was on the phone with one of the absolute best educators I have ever know about a recent experience she had that day. In order to keep this person's identity private, I will simply call this person "Ms. J". 

The whole thing came about by first receiving a distressed message stating that the basketball incentive she had in place for some students was going to have to stop. Ms. J informed me that a team of teachers informed her that if scholars were to earn the reward of basketball time, then they must first be set up with a behavior management plan. The key to this conversation is that some of the scholars playing basketball were not having "behavior issues". But the teachers pushed because they felt it needed to be an earned reward to remove them from academic experiences. 

Did you catch that? 

Even if they were not being sent out of class for behaviors, there must be a behavior management plan put in place?

Now I don't know these teachers in any capacity, but I can feel the tone in which they said what they said. I can sense their deep seeded desire to further the status quo and a need to follow a specific structure. The need for compliance pushes teachers to require "carrots", which they can dangle in front of kids just in case they get a bit out of hand. These teachers could see their own control of these scholars slipping away and they quickly demanded a change to the plan in order to gain that control back. 

It's all about control. 

After lending my few small pieces of advice I hung up as there was a knock on my door. Three students filed in. All distraught. All holding a office discipline referral. One in tears. They begun to unload their frustration in my office. 

"Why does he have to yell at us?" 
"Why do we always have to do it his way?" 
"You see my grades! I know how to do it! I just might do it differently than he does!" 
"I know he hates us." 

"He sends us out to remind us he's in charge."

I sat back, no longer desiring to "fix" the problem and I just listened. I let each of them have their time and share their own perspective. Never once did I challenge them or offer a different perspective. Not because I couldn't offer other perspectives, but because I knew in that moment it would have only furthered their belief that there is a serious need for control

Often times, we as educators feel the need to control the classroom. We want to make sure that scholars know we are in charge and that if we snap our fingers the expectations is that they respond accordingly. Sending a scholar out, or forcing unnecessary behavior management plans are simple ways for us as adults to grab control and ensure that our scholars know the best thing for them to do is comply

Well folks, I'm done with that. I'm done asking for compliance. I can't continue to fight for control when it was never mine to have. I will not longer stand by educators who demand control over earned respect. I refuse to support educators who demand that a student first complies before any choice is offered to scholars. 

I will no longer allow scholars to experience an education that reinforces their role as a pawn in the game of education. 

I will show my scholars I am going to support them. I will show up in their classes and speak to teachers who are not meeting our expectations. I will provide professional development for staff who aren't quite there yet. I will celebrate small wins and the efforts of staff to let go and trust their scholars first! I will remind my scholars in as many ways as I can that I am there for them as my very first priority. I will blow up my office with posters that empower and encourage students. I will work daily to show students that their needs are the most important in the building. I will believe that their needs can lead to one of the most premier educations they can ever hope to experience. 

Here are some posters from my office that I have chosen to put up in my office to show my students that I am walking the walk, and talking the talk. That when I say they come first and that I have their backs... I mean it! 





So I told my students who were in my office that I cared about them. I told them that I was reading on a daily basis to be better at my job and to serve them better. At one point I pulled out my book, For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood by Chris Emdin, as an example of what I am doing to get better. I then walked the three scholars back to class. On our way back one of the young ladies asked if she could borrow the book.

Me - "You know it's for teachers, and how to be a better educator, right?"
Student - "Yeah."
Me - "Are you thinking you want to be a teacher someday?"
Student - "If it means I get to do what you do... then yeah."

That young lady has my book now, and I have an overjoyed spirit. Her statement simply verified that what I do matters. That the more compassion and love I pour out, the more relationships I build, the more authenticity I bring to the table, the greater the impact I can make.

So... is control worth it?

Comments

Popular Posts