I'm in it for the kids!


Today it was brought to my attention that one of my scholars has suffered quite a bit of loss and has went through a fair bit of trauma over the past few weeks. His biological father has been sentenced to life in prison. The boy's mother and step-father have spent the last few weeks arguing and yelling at one another throughout the night and into the early morning. He comes to school exhausted and by second period if you are not teaching deeply engaging content, you've lost him!

As he rolled off my couch and into a bouncy chair he started to eat a piece of pizza he had earned through an incentive from one of our outstanding EA's. While he ate I took the time to talk to him about his father's sentencing and his current home that contains so much yelling. At one point he looked up at me and said, "Can we not talk about this anymore?" I pushed no further and told him should he ever need to talk that I would be there for him.

He finished his pizza, tossed the leftovers in my fridge, and started back to class. But right before he left he said (very nonchalantly), "You are one of the best guys I know." ... I hardly caught him saying it. I called him back and struggled to find the right words, I responded simply with, "So are you."

It was in that moment I was reminded of something that is so valuable for any of us educators, the purpose for which we are in this profession.

Let me be clear...

I am not in this for personal gratification.

I do not get up in the morning to increase my popularity.

I have not continued to engage in this work because I take pride in my own intellect.

I find no value in fluffy pats on the back, and they are certainly not why I do the work.

But I do the work because...

I get to work alongside of young men and women as they grow at an impressive rate.

I serve as an ear, an arm, a heart for those who need it.

I am there for students when they are at their weakest, and when they are at their best.

I have a first row seat to student growth both academically and socially.

I wield a unique and powerful gift to stand up for those who have been silenced much too often.

I am in the heart of social justice work for those who matter most, where I can and will impact as much change to the status quo as I possibly can.

I am on Twitter not to gain more followers, but to collect ideas that will make me better at serving my students.

I blog as a personal form of reflection and self-improvement, not as a way to increase readership.

I read articles, blogs, and books not because I desire to live as an intellect but rather to acquire as much information I can that will radically change the way in which I do my work.

I wake up on a daily basis not because the students need me... but because I need them.

So, why are you in education? ...


Comments

Popular Posts