Fields Trips: Building Trust and Relationships


















When I was first informed that all three grades (6-8) would be attending grade specific field trips the day before our spring break began, I was not the biggest fan. Being honest, I went to a very negative space, imagining all that could go wrong and began to preemptively become anxious about the day. Our school had not done anything like this in years past and this was going to be our first attempt at a school wide PBIS field trip initiative. The fact that it was scheduled the day before we sent students on break made me question the decisions even more. Too much could go wrong, and try as I might, I couldn't find the potential benefits.

The field trip was taken over a week ago now. In the end all my fear and trepidation were for naught and the trip was an overwhelming success. My wonderful 6th grade students not only met, but exceeded the expectations we had for them as we they set out on a field trip as a representation of the school. What I learned is that the field trip was more than worth it. Here's why.

1) Trust: At the foundation of any relationship is trust. Boiling my own trepidations downs, I was not giving our students my full trust that they could handle the trip. Within 15 minutes of being on-site at the field trip my students quickly showed me how wrong I was to hold any of my trust back. Throughout the day they showed me again and again what wonderful students they are and why the undoubtedly deserve my full trust. The trust built that day has created a foundation on which we can build better relationships.

2) Relationships: Field trips have the wonderful capability of opening the eyes of all who attend. As staff we were able to see our students in a completely different light than what we see on a daily basis in the school. Students showed their fears as well as their ability to take risks. Students were able to interact in a comfortable, non-classroom, environment with their teachers which allowed students and staff to get to know each other in ways they simple couldn't before. These relationships have continued at school and student/staff relationships are improving on a daily basis.

3) Kids should be kids: For some of our students this field trip will be one of only a few trips like this in their life. They may have never been to a water park before, and it is very possible they will not return ever again. My mind went to the worst possible situations, when in reality this was one of the best possible opportunities for so many of my wonderful students. This opportunity, the one I was so anxious about, was a great reminder of when we allow our students to be kids... they flourish.

As for the next field trip we're planning... I'm looking forward to it.

Comments

Popular Posts